David Whitcomb's reflections on daily life, readings, viewings, hearings, and feelings, my dreams of things to come, and a hard and good dose of reality.

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Community revisited: breaking idols without shattering norms

I haven't been writing in a while, but here is some more to ponder...

Well, this is devoted to responding to Keith's question a few writings ago, and also responding to some of what Greg wrote here.

Keith's question was the following: "How do we break idols without shattering norms? i think these programs help communities develop a grand view of life together- and in our current day and age it is so good- but how do we help them have a picture of this without making it what is worshiped..."

Something that I have been struggling to understand in my faith and in my leading of students is the idea of faithful living being a shear response to who Christ is and what He has done for me/us. Thinking about this response has led me to review what it means to be under law and under grace. This law/grace ponderance led me to think about the difference between condemnation and conviction, and when I have experienced the two emotions.

In my worldview training that happened much at the beach and even more through my interactions with Keith Martel, there were times when I felt a deep guilt for actions (condemnation), and times when I felt remorse yet also a sense of hope for correction. I have experienced the hope more often in times when I have been reading and studying the person of Jesus, and seeking to understand who he was and how he lived. I feel condemnation most often when I am reading the Scripture without the context of Christ and the great story of redemption.

Why has this happened? I can only surmise that when I do not have a proper understanding of who Christ is and what he has done, I read through the scripture and see only rules, which might as well be the same as giving me a list of things that I ought to do, which are impossible to live up to. This is what may be happening at the Beach Project. In striving for community and high levels of learning, we redirect our focus from Christ and start having rules for relationships imposed upon us, and a way of life imposed that may be different from what we are used to. This often gives us a grand view of life because it is a good way, but unless it is viewed from a relationship with Christ, it might as well only be striving for an utopian dream. This dream is what we may be giving people a view of, not an all encompassing understanding and relationship with Christ.

Maybe after the initial study of worldview which I love oh so much, we should move to an intense study of the person and work of Christ so that we are fully humbled and challenged by the God-man who is restoring the world.

Peace,
David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Google