David Whitcomb's reflections on daily life, readings, viewings, hearings, and feelings, my dreams of things to come, and a hard and good dose of reality.

Monday, November 01, 2004

Self Esteem and the Image of God (part 2 of the era of underachievers)

Well, Last time, I was writing a bit about the era of underachievers, and I realized while I was writing that my thought pattern was trailing off into the afternoon lull, which is why I stopped writing. I have recently thought that the people I am talking about are not underachievers. If anything they are successful underachievers. They don't really do much, or want to do much, but get anything they want by doing anything they want.

I mentioned that I would be reflecting on some reading I was doing, and right now, my bedtime reading is The Feel-Good Curriculum: The Dumbing Down of America's Kids in the Name of Self-Esteem. The premise of the book is that the self-esteem movement is plaguing education by making school more about social and psychological health, and not really about knowledge. Now, I am an advocate of treating the whole student, but Stout's argument is primarily that knowledge has fallen by the wayside, and that schools need to build children's self esteem by telling them that they are good.

Stout's argument so far (only 100 pages in), is that achievement leads to self esteem, and if there is no achievement, and students are applauded, students will think that they don't need to do anything to receive praise. Continuing with this idea, Stout says that if teachers are helping students understand the material being taught, they will be able to do the work they need, and feel good if they do the work and self-esteem will grow from achieving something.

Stout talks about absolute truth, and the need for moral direction in education, and I think these aspects are critical as well, but my main thoughts so far concern the understanding of self-esteem through achievement and if this coheres with Biblical perspectives on the humans being made in the image of God.

I just wrote a ton and deleted it, because I found myself wandering with no direction. I will cease writing, and revisit this tomorrow, hopefully with a fresh cup of coffee in me and a sharper mind.

Peace,
DEW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Google