David Whitcomb's reflections on daily life, readings, viewings, hearings, and feelings, my dreams of things to come, and a hard and good dose of reality.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Potentially being a life saver

Sunday night, my wife and I were driving home from Charlottesville, and as we exited I-64, a car was sitting at an intersection with its door open, and a Hispanic man quickly approached me informing me that he didn't speak English and did not know the number to the police or hospital. I thought he was with the woman in the car, so I quickly responded, "nueve-uno-uno." His hesitancy to make a phone call with a cell phone in his hand was a little strange to me. After a minute or two of banter in my broken Spanish and his broken English, I called 911 and reported the problem. As I approached, she couldn't speak and seemed to be having a heart attack. The state troopers quickly arrived, followed by the ambulance, and they whisked the woman away, hopefully to safety.

The story ended as quickly as it began, as a fog rolled in from the mountains and seemingly dropped the temperature 20 degrees. I don't know who the woman was or how she is doing now. It seems strange that I may have played a role in saving someone's life, but will never know the outcome.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

David,
I applaud your act of kindness shown to this couple. I'm happy to know that you were not in harm's way by doing so...it could have been a trap. I do not know what I would have done if I had been alone in a car and had seen someone who appeared to need help. I'm not sure if it would have been wise for me to stop, but I guess I surely could have called for help.
Praying this lady got the help that she needed.

2:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Google