David Whitcomb's reflections on daily life, readings, viewings, hearings, and feelings, my dreams of things to come, and a hard and good dose of reality.

Thursday, July 14, 2005

One more excerpt that resonated within me

As I was reading this, it resonated within me, and is another affirmation of my current direction...

I.I. p 100 - "What is common to all true master-pupil relationships is the awareness both share that thei relationship is literally pricelss and in very different ways a privilege for both....

...This kind of teaching is always a luxury for the teacher and a form of leisure (in Greek, "schole") for him and his pupil: an activity meaning for both, having no ulterior purpose."

I think this quote is a means and ends free method of education. Learning is valuable because learning is valuable. Not because of what it provides or the way it is done. Learning is good. The word schole is the word that translate, means leisure, but it is also the word we derive scholar from. How often do you think of scholarly work as leisure?

I am going to graduate school to hopefully recapture schole as my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Google